Sunday, August 12, 2012

Ramadan Bazaar @ Geylang Serai

Ramadan comes from the word Ramida which means scorching heat or dryness. This is the month of fasting and Muslim refrains from consuming food and liquids in daytime, until sun down.  Ramadan is a time to purify the soul, refocus attention on God, and practice self-sacrifice. Breaking fast at 7pm and you will see a large crowd starting to gather.

Location: Exit from the Paya Lebar station (opposite the Singpost) you can see giant tents with lots of stalls selling food.

The Ramadan Bazaar will last throughout the Ramadan period so be sure check out before they packed up.

#1Among this sea of food, there is a unique stall - Churro Brothers. Churros (a.k.a. spanish doughnuts) The dough, made of flour, water and salt is deep fried into a pastry. You can read about how the Churro Brothers started from their Facebook Page - Churro Brothers

My friend and I bought the Buddy combo of 6 Cinnamon Sugar, 2 Chocolate-filled and 2 Caramel-filled together with 3 different dips for $5. 































These Churros are fried on the spot. It took a few minutes but warm churros are worth the wait! This Churros are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. It tasted like the ones I ate in Disneyland many years back! Absolute delight to find the same taste again. These Churros differs from the Disneyland ones though. They are shorter, kinda of like finger food.


Cinnamon flavored churro. I love these sugary cinnamon sticks.































I think the Churro Brothers forgot to fill them up with Chocolate or Candy Caramel so they were like original Churro. It's okay because we got the dips and it is still awesome!
































The dips - Grandma's Apple Pie, Milky Chocolate, Candy Caramel. I love all the dips.

The grandma apple pie: You guessed it. Tasted like apple pie. Kinda of like sweet and slightly sour. Slight hint of cinnamon taste. This is a bit watery but nonetheless awesome.

Milky chocolate: Chocolate gooey goes well with churros! The dip is slightly thicker.

Caramel: Sweet and goes well with the cinnamon flavored churro!

Rating: 4.2/5

This are considered pretty cheap, thinking about how much work they have to do to make the dips and churros. I definitely recommend you to check out their stall.































Bandung $1. Free Magnum mini from doing short surveys for Prudential. Free food. I was craving for some ice cream. Haha.


#2 Takoyaki time.

When I saw the giant sign that says 6 for $2.50 I was like OMG. They usually sell them at 3 for $2.50 so it's like half price.
























Takoyaki balls 6 for $2.50

These are surprisingly delicious. I really hate tako balls that are cooked to the core. This one is just nice. Slighlt crispy skin and soft doughy core. The prawns and squid are really small but for such a low price, this is definitely worth it.

Rating: 3.8/4


#3 Dendeng. This is a popular dish in Indonesia, kinda of like BBQ beef.
























Dendeng -100g for $5.

That worked out to be like 2 slices. I find it very expensive but my friend said that it is a must try so I gave it a go. At first I thought it is similar to the Chinese Bakwa but I was wrong. The the texture is totally different. This one is like a soft version of beef jerky that is easy to tear into pieces. It is kinda of springy with a few lumps of fats in it. The thinly sliced and caramelized beef is pretty good.

Rating: 3.8/5

My first time eating Dendeng. Pretty yummy.

#3 My favourite Ramly burger. I'd been eating a lot of Ramly burgers in Singapore but recently heard that the Ramly burgers sold in Singapore are not "authentic". In Malaysia, they used a different kinda of beef that apparently taste more awesome.
























Ramly beef burger at $3.
























Made with a small slice of cheese, mayonnaise, chilli sauce and egg.
























I'm not sure if this is the real deal but it sure taste pretty good. The beef patty is more peppery than the ones I usually eat and is more springy. Pretty messy to eat this but it is delicious.

Rating: 4/5


I think what I like about all the food I mentioned is that they are all made on the spot. Hot and fresh! Do drop by and look around. The Ramadan Bazaar is livelier than all the Pasar Malam I'd been to. It is kinda of warm and smoky but it is a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment