Sunday, September 30, 2012

Japanese Carbonara

Craving for some Japanese carbonara! The first time I tried it was at my friend's birthday party. This a really addictive dish that needs to be served hot!

























This is Runnyrunny999's Japanese carbonara (2 servings)

Ingredients:
150ml Heavy cream
150g grated cheese
100g bacon
2 eggs
Spaghetti
Garlic

This is my version: (3 servings)
200ml heavy cream
50g grated cheese (intuitive)
150g~ bacon
1 egg
Spaghetti
4 small cloves of garlic

Why the alternative version:
1) I was an idiot who forgot to check if I still got eggs at home. In the end, I decided to make do with the only egg left because I am too lazy to go out again.

2) I can't find heavy cream nor italian parsley in Fairprice so I had to head to cold storage to look for them. Thanks to the awesome cold storage guy who'd been a great help to locate the italian parsley.

3) I can't find heavy cream so I googled for substitutes in Cold Storage. I later found out that heavy cream is also known as whipping cream so I bought the 200ml pack. (explains why I choose to use 200ml)

4) I love bacon.

5) I follow my intuition. Whatever that feels right while I'm cooking.


























Sliced Bacon and finely chopped garlic.

I used to hate garlic when I was a kid and my mum would chop them so finely that I will eat it which out noticing. One day I discovered a visible chopped garlic and made a huge fuss out of it. I don't know when but I slowly learnt to eat garlic. For all the mum out there, it takes time for your kid to learn to eat the veggies. Don't rush. Haha.

























Egg, heavy cream and grated, pepper and cheese mixture.


























Tip: Remember to mix them really well for a smoother texture.

























Tip: Heat Olive oil up (for a while) before adding in garlic, followed by bacon. Fry till the bacon turns slightly brown. Look at the fats bubbling!


























Pour in the spaghetti into the pan.

Tip: Always boil the spaghetti two minutes shorter than the required time. For example, if the pack says cook for 13minutes, cook it for 11minutes. (The pasta will still cook in the pan, so take it out earlier to not overcook the pasta)

Next, give the carbonara sauce mixture a stir before pouring it into the pan as well.

























Tip: Remember not to add too much salt because the bacon and grated cheese are very salty. I didn't add any for my carbonara.
























This is so heavenly! However, carbonara has always been cloying for me after 5-6 bites so having a cup of green tea is good. Very sinful treat that clots the arteries. A dish to die for! Haha. I think this is a pretty manageable dish since I'm able to make it.

Give it a try and let me know your results!


Back to recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment