Friday, November 7, 2014

Gifts from Tokyo

My friend bought me some gifts from Japan so I thought I would share with you guys.

These Tokyo Bananas have been popular on social media sites for a while now and I finally got to try them.  I googled them up and it turns out a box of banana is pretty expensive, around $28.

Tokyo Banana (東京ばな奈)


Opening the Package. Really elegant and minimalistic wrapping. I love the design and layout.


The box looks amazing as well.


12 banana cakes neatly arranged in a box.


Best consumed within 7 days of purchase.


The tokyo banana has a fluffy sponge cake with banana custard in the middle. 
(*Sorry about the lighting.)

Banana puree was used to make the custard and you can expect them to be super smooth. I actually don't really like banana but this is pretty good. Great quality with natural ingredients. 


Here are 2 other flavours I tried: Tokyo Banana Caramel キャラメル味(Left) and Tokyo Chocolate Banana チョコバナナ味 (Right)



Cool print on sponge cake.


This chocolate banana version. It is chocolatey but the chocolate does not overpower the taste of the banana.


If you don't really like the banana taste, I would recommend the caramel flavoured banana. The custard tasted more like toffee than banana. 

After trying out the different kind of Tokyo bananas, I think I know why they cost so much. This sweet treat requires much work to make. It is exquisite - from packaging to taste. A great gift for your loved ones.

Next up more sweet stuff.


Hokkaido Creamy Milk Cake. Another beautiful packaging.



Initially, I thought there is a difference between the baby blue and yellow pack but they tasted the same.


Tasted like steamed cakes. Buttery and milky with a soft, fluffy cake.


It gets a little too sweet and cloying on the second cake. I need a cup of hot Matcha.

Another Hokkaido treat: Shiroi Koibito - Chocolat Blanc Langue de Chat



This one has got white chocolate. 


The biscuit is soft and crumbles easily. Smooth white chocolate sandwiched between 2 milky and buttery biscuit with some coarse sugar. 

The thing I like about Japanese food is the details and thoughtfulness they put in to make the products. Many thanks my friend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment